Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Leesburg Freight Station
Passenger service along the Washington & Old Dominion barely made money. Freight appeared to be the railroad’s salvation. In 1926 W&OD owners calculated that 2 or 3 freight runs earned more than 134 passenger runs.
Freight business boomed during World War II and later with the growth of Northern Virginia. Trains hauled stone from local quarries for road construction. In the late 1950s the railroad prospered hauling building materials for the new Dulles International Airport.
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park, Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars NOVA Parks, and the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad series lists.
Location. 39° 6.649′ N, 77° 33.813′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on Harrison Street, on the left when traveling north. Located about 25 feet west of Harrison Street on the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Orion Anderson Story (here, next to this marker); This Is W&OD Trail: Leesburg! (within shouting distance of this marker); Stationmaster's House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log House (about 600 feet away); Norman-Harding Barn (about 600 feet away); Dairy Barn (about 600 feet away); McKimmey's Mill (about 700 feet away); Osterburg Mill (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a picture of the freight depot captioned, “Built after the first depot burned in 1898, the Leesburg freight building (photographed in 1951) was moved in 1985 to the present location on Harrison Street.” A smaller picture of the Leesburg Lime Company is captioned, “A postcard from the early 20th century shows the tracks through industrial Leesburg, looking west toward Harrison Street.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. The Washington and Old Dominion. Book by Ames Williams available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
2. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, 1847 - 1968. Book by Herbert Harwood available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,714 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on July 30, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.