Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fairview Church Cemetery

 
 
Fairview Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 19, 2022
1. Fairview Church Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  According to tradition, a small group of Nacogdoches-Area Methodists came together before 1860 to organize a church, which they named Pine Grove. In the late 1870s, congregation members moved their small log building to a site in front of this cemetery. A.J. Muckleroy, in 1878, had donated two acres of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. When the Pine Grove Church moved to the Muckleroy land, the congregation changed its name to Fairview Church.

The earliest marked grave at the Fairview Church Cemetery is that of Elijah Muckleroy and dates to 1851, although earlier graves may exist. For decades, families of those buried in the graveyard maintained the grounds and grave sites. In 1941, the families established an annual homecoming Sunday, and by 1964 the Fairview Cemetery Association had organized to oversee care of the cemetery. Today, encompassing approximately 12 acres and more than 1,500 marked graves, the cemetery features stone cairns and curbed plots. It serves as a link to the early rural community and the history of its settlement.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003

 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14545.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 31° 34.466′ N, 94° 35.216′ W. Marker is near Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 21) 0.1 miles west of Fairview Road (County Highway 509), on the right when traveling east. The marker is located at the entrance to the cemetery and behind the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6296 TX-21, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Peter Ellis Bean (approx. 1.4 miles away); Kings Highway Camino Real — Old San Antonio Road (approx. 2.4 miles away); Charles Standfield Taylor (approx. 4.2 miles away); Thomas Young Buford (approx. 4.2 miles away); William Clark, Jr. (approx. 4.2 miles away); The New Orleans Greys (approx. 4.2 miles away); Dr. Robert Anderson Irion (approx. 4.2 miles away); Home of Adolphus Sterne (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
The Fairview Church Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 19, 2022
2. The Fairview Church Cemetery and Marker
The entrance to the Fairview Church Cemetery behind the church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 19, 2022
3. The entrance to the Fairview Church Cemetery behind the church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210983

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024