Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Society Hill in Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph from Emmitsburg, MD

 
 
The Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph from Emmitsburg, MD Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 13, 2023
1. The Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph from Emmitsburg, MD Marker
Inscription.  
In 1793, after the dreaded Yellow Fever Epidemic of that year, The Trustees of Holy Trinity Church established a residence for orphans they found wandering on the streets. In 1807, the orphanage was legally incorporated as "The Roman Catholic Society for Educating and Maintaining Poor Orphan Children."

In October, 1814, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Charity came to Philadelphia to work in the orphanage. These Sisters had been founded by Mother Elizabeth Ann Bailey Seton in 1809. It was the first new community for religious women to be established in the United States. And this was the first mission for these Sisters outside of Emmitsburg.

The orphanage, first established in a simple wooden house near Holy Trinity Church at 6th and Spruce Streets, was eventually located at 702-704 Spruce Street, where it remained until 1945. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Charity not only ministered to the orphans, but were called upon by the City of Philadelphia to assist in nursing during the 1832 cholera epidemic. Several of the Sisters are buried here along with at least one of the orphans.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionWomen. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1814.
 
Location. 39° 56.747′ N, 75° 8.981′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. It is in Society Hill. Marker can be reached from South 4th Street south of Locust Street, on the right when traveling south. This marker can be found on the grounds of Old St. Mary's Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242 S 4th St, Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anthony Quervelle (a few steps from this marker); Old St. Mary's Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Commodore John Barry (a few steps from this marker); St. Charles Seminary (a few steps from this marker); Oldest Legible Tombstone In The Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Magnolia Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); George Meade (within shouting distance of this marker); Right Reverend Michael Francis Egan, D.D. (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
 
The Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph from Emmitsburg, MD Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 13, 2023
2. The Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph from Emmitsburg, MD Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2023, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2023, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=213988

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024