Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Main/Military Plaza in San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Healing Arts West of the Creek

 
 
The Healing Arts West of the Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 8, 2023
1. The Healing Arts West of the Creek Marker
Inscription.  
Over the centuries, many healers would find their way to the creek.

Until the Middle 1800s, health care in San Antonio was provided by private physicians, druggists, and curanderos (folk healers). After cholera epidemics killed hundreds in 1849 and 1866, Catholic Bishop Claude Marie Dubuis arranged for the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to open a small infirmary east of San Pedro Creek on Plaza de Armas (Military Plaza). The sisters served all races and religions regardless of ability to pay. They built a new infirmary west of the creek in the middle 1870s, converted the old building to a girls' orphanage, and in 1891 opened a boys' orphanage facing the new facility. Renamed Santa Rosa Hospital, the infirmary was continuously expanded and modernized to offer new services, including specialized health care for children. The institution, today known as Children's Hospital of San Antonio, still cares for patients from throughout South Texas at the site west of San Pedro Creek where it has fulfilled its health care mission since 1875.

Captions
1: The Sisters
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Charity worked closely with hospital staff including Dr. Ferdinand Herff, and his son, Dr. Adolph Herff, as they performed an operation in about 1900.
2: Augustus Koch illustrated Santa Rosa Hospital on his 1886 bird's-eye view of the city (left). The site of the 1869 infirmary is shown on the east side of San Pedro Creek (right).
3: The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word enlarged their hospital to keep pace with the growing number of patients and rapid advances in health care. The hospital overlooking Milam Park is seen here in photographs taken in about 1884 (above) and 1935 (left).


[Spanish Text]
Las Artes Curativas al Oeste del Arroyo
A lo largo de los siglos, muchos curanderos encontrarían su camino hacia el arroyo.

Hasta Mediados De La Década De 1800, la atención médica en San Antonio era proporcionada por médicos privados, farmacéuticos y curanderos (sanadores populares). Después de que las epidemias de cólera mataran a cientos en 1849 y 1866, el obispo católico Claude Marie Dubuis dispuso que las Hermanas de la Caridad del Incarnate Word abrieran una pequena enfermería al este de San Pedro Creek en la Plaza de Armas (Military Plaza). Las hermanas atendieron a todas las razas y religions sin importar su capacidad de pago. Construyeron una nueva enfermería al oeste
The view of the Healing Arts West of the Creek Marker looking north along the creek image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 8, 2023
2. The view of the Healing Arts West of the Creek Marker looking north along the creek
del arroyo a mediados de los años 1870s, convirtieron el antiguo edificio en un orfanato para niñas, y en 1891 abrieron un orfanato para niños frente de la nueva instalación. Renombrado Hospital Santa Rosa, la enfermería fue continuamente ampliada y modernizada para ofrecer nuevos servicios, incluyendo atención médica especializada para niños. La institución, hoy conocida como Children's Hospital de San Antonio todavía atiende a pacientes de todo el sur de Texas en el sitio al oeste de San Pedro Creek, donde ha cumplido su misión de atención médica desde 1875.

Subtítulos
1: Las Hermanas de la Caridad trabajaron en estrecha colaboración con el personal del hospital, incluido el Dr. Ferdinand Herff y su hijo, el Dr. Adolph Herff, mientras realizaban una operación alrededor de 1900.
2: Augustus Koch ilustró el Hospital Santa Rosa en su vista aérea de la ciudad de 1886 (izquierda). El sitio de la enfermería de 1869 se muestra en el lado este de San Pedro Creek (derecha).
3: Las Hermanas de la Caridad del Verbo Encarnado ampliaron su hospital para seguir manteniendo con el creciente número de pacientes y los rápidos avances en el cuidado de la salud. El hospital que domina el Milam Park se ve aquí en fotografias tomadas alrededor de 1884 (arriba) y 1935 (izquierda).

 
Erected
The Healing Arts West of the Creek Marker is located on the far right of the photo image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 8, 2023
3. The Healing Arts West of the Creek Marker is located on the far right of the photo
2022 by San Pedro Creek Cultural Park.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionHispanic AmericansScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 29° 25.46′ N, 98° 29.779′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. It is in Main/Military Plaza. Marker can be reached from Dolorosa Street, 0.1 miles east of South Laredo Street. The marker is located along the east side of San Pedro Creek and north of the Dolorosa Bridge in the the park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dolorosa Street (here, next to this marker); A Poor Settlement Takes Shape at the Northern Frontier of New Spain (a few steps from this marker); Urban Renewal and the Expansion of Government Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Laredito and the Tale of Two San Antonios (within shouting distance of this marker); The Buried Past is Never Lost (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de Armas: Center of Commerce and Government (within shouting distance of this marker); Jose Francisco Ruiz (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish Governor's Palace (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.

 
Also see . . .  Where beauty meets purpose. San Pedro Creek Culture Park (Submitted on January 22, 2023, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2023, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 23, 2023, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=214484

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024