Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cleveland in White County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds

 
 
Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2008
1. Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds Marker
Inscription.  Mossy Creek Campground was established in 1833 and has continued as a site of yearly religious revival meetings since that time. Rock Springs Campground was established in 1887 and is one of the few remaining camp-meeting sites organized by black congregations in Georgia. Similar sites developed throughout the region during and after the Second Great Awakening of the early nineteenth century. In addition to religious teaching, camp meetings provided social opportunities for isolated rural communities. Brush arbors, or open-air shelters, like the ones at Mossy Creek and Rock Springs, are typical of southern camp-meeting sites.
 
Erected 2008 by Georgia Historical Society, Mossy Creek Tentholders, Rock Springs Campground Association, and White County Historical Society. (Marker Number 154-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionParks & Recreational AreasWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
34° 31.26′ N, 83° 43.874′ W. Marker is near Cleveland, Georgia, in White County. Marker is on State Highway 254, 1˝ miles east of Cleveland Highway (Highway 129), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7620 Highway 254, Cleveland GA 30528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord Academy / Chattahoochee High School / Clermont School House (approx. 3.3 miles away); March 1998 Tornado (approx. 3.9 miles away); Clermont War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); Cleveland (approx. 5.6 miles away); White County (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old White County Courthouse (approx. 5.6 miles away); White County's Gold (approx. 5.6 miles away); Mustering Grounds (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
 
"Tents" at Mossy Creek Campgrounds image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2008
2. "Tents" at Mossy Creek Campgrounds
Cabins at these camp meeting grounds have long been referred to as "tents."
"Tents" at Mossy Creek Campgrounds image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2008
3. "Tents" at Mossy Creek Campgrounds
Cabins at these camp meeting grounds have long been referred to as "tents."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,053 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on August 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21521

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024