Safety Harbor in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Espiritu Santo Springs
Where Healing Waters Flow
On May 18, 1539, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto reached the shores of what is now Tampa Bay, landing near these mineral springs used by the native population for nearly 10,000 years. Believing he had found the legendary Fountain of Youth somehow missed by Ponce de Leon, de Soto established a camp here, naming the crystal waters Espiritu Santo Springs - "Springs of the Holy Spirit."
Each of the five springs located on this site was identified and said to cure certain ailments, a claim drawing thousands of visitors yearly to the "Health Giving City" of Safety Harbor.
The Safety Harbor Sanitorium opened its doors in 1926, offering porcelain bath tubs and a large swimming pool for "taking the waters". In 1945 the springs and sanitorium were sold to Dr. Salem H. Baranoff, who opened the facility as a health spa.
Today the springs continue to attract health-conscious travelers.
Erected 1998 by the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa and Florida Department of State, Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Science & Medicine. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1890.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 27° 59.458′ N, 82° 41.258′ W. Marker was in Safety Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker was on North Bayshore Drive east of Phillippe Parkway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 105 North Bayshore Drive, Safety Harbor FL 34695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Safety Harbor Historical Site: St. James Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “The Baranoff Oak” (about 400 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Baranoff Oak Tree (about 500 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: First Town Hall (about 500 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Event: Peace Treaty Between the Tocobaga and the Calusa (about 700 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Tucker Mansion (about 800 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Native American Burial Mound (approx. 0.2 miles away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: 136 4th Ave. N. Safety Harbor: "The 1908 Gingerbread House" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Safety Harbor.