Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Talking Rock in Pickens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station

»—→

 
 
Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
1. Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker
Inscription.  Just west of here in 1819 the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions established a mission station to the Cherokee Indians. Moody Hall and Henry Parker were the first missionaries sent to Carmel (originally known as Taloney), March 12, 1831. Rev. Isaac Proctor, then residing here, was arrested by the Georgia Guard for not complying with the new state law requiring all white men residing on Cherokee land now claimed by Georgia, to apply for licenses to remain and take an oath of allegiance to the State. Many of the missionaries abstained, feeling that Georgia had no power to enforce her laws over land rightfully belonging to the Cherokees. Rev. Daniel S. Butrick, also a missionary at Carmel, away at the time, escaped arrest. Rev. Proctor and the other missionaries which were arrested were released very shortly on grounds that they were agents of the U.S. Government in the educating of the Cherokees. Soon afterwards the issue again became critical and, rather than take the oath of allegiance, Butrick and Proctor left Georgia.

Rev. Proctor remained in that portion of the Cherokee Nation now Tennessee and started a new
Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
2. Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker
Looking southeast on Georgia Highway 136 toward the intersection with Georgia 515/Georgia 5, the Zell Miller Parkway
Click or scan to see
this page online
mission. Carmel continued in existence until 1839.
 
Erected 1962 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 112-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 12, 1781.
 
Location. 34° 31.15′ N, 84° 31.417′ W. Marker is near Talking Rock, Georgia, in Pickens County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 136 and Ellijay Road (Georgia Route 382), on the right when traveling east on State Route 136. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Talking Rock GA 30175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Zell Miller Mountain Parkway (approx. 1.6 miles away); Oglethorpe Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); Old Pickens County Jail (approx. 6.3 miles away); Pickens County (approx. 6.3 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 7.9 miles away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 10.4 miles away); Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate (approx. 10.7 miles away).
 
Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
3. Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,323 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21717

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 18, 2021