Lexington in Lexington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Laurence Corley House
This log house was built ca. 1771 by Laurance Corley (1742-1815), whose plantation of over 1700 acres occupied much of present-day Lexington. Corley later served in Capt. Gabriel Friday's militia company during the Revolution. The house stood on two previous locations near Twelve Mile Creek, approximately 1 mile east, and was moved here on part of the original tract in 1974, then restored by the Lexington Co. Museum.
Laurance Corley was the father of sixteen children, founding a prominent and well-known Lexington County family. His first wife Christena died in 1806, and he later married a widow, Barbara Derrick Drafts (1770-1858), later known as "Granny Corley." In 1820, five years after Corley's death, Mrs. Corley deeded two acres to the state for the establishment of a new county seat, which became the town of Lexington.
Erected 1997 by Lexington County Museum. (Marker Number 32-28.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1771.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 231 Fox Street, Lexington SC 29072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Daniel Koon House (within shouting distance of this marker); Oak Grove Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Hazelius House (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); John Fox House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named John Fox House (about 400 feet away); Cotton Gin (about 500 feet away); Kitchen (about 500 feet away); Tomb of Dr. E.L. Hazelius (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Stephen's Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,326 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on September 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 29, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9. submitted on September 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.