Near D'Hanis in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Captain Heinrich Joseph Richarz established this cemetery in 1905. A native of Prussia, he and his family arrived in Texas in 1850. After a brief stay in Bexar County, the family moved to Fort Lincoln, residing for a time in quarters once occupied by future Civil War General, James Longstreet, Richarz soon bought land nearby, moved his family there and raised cattle and the Merino Sheep he is credited with introducing to this part of the country.
Frequent Indian raids resulted in organization of the Medina Mounted Home Guards. Richarz, with his military background, became its Major. In 1870, Richarz was Captain of Company E, Frontier Forces, based at Fort Inge, near Uvalde. His son, Walter, a Private in this Company, was killed by Indians.
At D'Hanis, Richarz established the first Post Office west of Castroville and served as its Postmaster. He also served as Chief Justice (County Judge) of Medina County. A Cattle and Hide Inspector, Fourth District School Director and as a Representative to the Seventeenth State Legislature. After years of Public Service, he retired to his farm and died on May 21, 1910. He and other
Medina County Historical Commission 2002
Erected 2002 by Medina County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical date for this entry is May 21, 1910.
Location. 29° 20.802′ N, 99° 16.891′ W. Marker is near D'Hanis, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Ruidnger Lane (County Highway 426) and County Highway 1796, on the right when traveling west on Ruidnger Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: D Hanis TX 78850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Lincoln (approx. 0.9 miles away); D'Hanis Brick and Tile Company (approx. one mile away); J.M. Koch's Hotel (approx. 1.1 miles away); D'Hanis (approx. 1.1 miles away); Town of D'Hanis (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of Saint Dominic Catholic Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hondo Army Air Field (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named Hondo Army Air Field (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in D'Hanis.
More about this marker. The Richarz Cemetery is located about 1 mile west of the marker. Continue down the road as it turns into a rough dirt road.
Also see . . . Private Walter Richarz - story of his death. Officer Down Memorial Page (Submitted on October 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on April 29, 2023, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.