Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Between the Peachtree Cr. Forks
July 19, 1864. The march of Stanley’s div. (4th AC.) on the Old Cheshire Bridge Rd from Buckhead was delayed by the burning bridge at N. Fork, Peachtree Cr. Opposition by Confederate cavalry had marked the progress of the 4th AC. from the Chattahoochee to & S. of Buckhead.
The bridge rebuilt, Stanley’s men marched to this vicinity 2.5 mi. S.E. of Buckhead where, with Gen. Howard in person, they camped.
July 20 . While Stanley resumed his march to Durand’s Mill, Howard returned to Buckhead & brought forward Wood’s div; these troops were moved E. to fill a gap in the Federal lines.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-22.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 49.057′ N, 84° 20.94′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on LaVista Road (Georgia Route 236) 0.1 miles from Cheshire Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old Cheshire Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stanley & Wood March To Durand's Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Saga of Gold Tooth John (approx. 1.2 miles away); Durand's Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector (approx. 1.4 miles away); Wood’s Div. 4th Corps (approx. 1½ miles away); 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill (approx. 1.6 miles away); King's Brigade (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. The marker originally stood on the south side of LaVista Road. It was removed in 2008 for new construction on the site, It was refinished and installed on the north side of LaVista Road in 2009.
It appears that at some point the title and text have been slightly changed from the original (1954) marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 881 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.