Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mildred L. Terry Branch Library

 
 
Mildred L. Terry Branch Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 17, 2004
1. Mildred L. Terry Branch Library Marker
Inscription.  The first public library for African Americans in segregated Columbus, the Colored/Fourth Avenue Library, opened on January 5, 1953. The existence of this facility resulted from covenants and restrictions barring the use of the city’s new public library by African Americans. The project was completed with expenditures of less than one hundred thousand dollars. The library was renamed the Mildred L. Terry Branch in 1981 to honor its first librarian.
 
Erected 2003 by The Georgia Historical Society, Kendrick High School Young Historians, Muscogee County Friends of Libraries, Chattahoochee Valley Regional Library System, and Historic Columbus Foundation. (Marker Number 106-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansArts, Letters, MusicCharity & Public WorkCivil RightsEducationWomen. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1914.
 
Location. 32° 27.474′ N, 84° 59.246′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Veterans Parkway (U.S. 27) 0 miles north of 6th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Spencer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fourth Street Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); “Ma" Rainey Home (approx. ¼ mile away); “The Folly” (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Pemberton House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pemberton Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Friendship Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sarah Turner Butler Heritage Corner (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Mildred L. Terry Branch Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
2. Mildred L. Terry Branch Library Marker
The marker and library, looking west on 4th Street toward the Chattahoochee River and Alabama
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,572 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on September 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on January 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on September 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22410

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024