Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jasper in Pickens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Federal Road

 
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
1. Old Federal Road Marker
Inscription.  This highway from Tate to Talking Rock follows substantially the course of the Old Federal Road, the earliest thoroughfare to link Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Permission to use the way was granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and formally by the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tenn.

The Federal Road was the first vehicular thoroughfare west of the Chattahoochee, the earliest postal route of this section of the State, and a leading emigrant trace to Tennessee and North Alabama. Kentucky and Tennessee stock man drove animals down this artery to Southeastern markets.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 112-3B.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
 
Location. 34° 27.301′ N, 84° 24.481′ W. Marker is in Jasper
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Georgia, in Pickens County. Marker is on East Church Street (Georgia Route 53) 0.1 miles south of Old Tate Highway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jasper GA 30143, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pickens County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Pickens County Jail (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named The Old Pickens County Jail (approx. 1.7 miles away); Oglethorpe Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Kirby-Quinton Cabin (approx. 1.7 miles away); Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jasper.
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
2. Old Federal Road Marker
Looking north on Georgia Highway 53, toward the center of Jasper
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
3. Old Federal Road Marker
Looking south on Georgia Highway 53, toward the town of Tate
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,037 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22650

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024