New Bremen in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Miami and Erie Canal
New Bremen, Ohio
Lock One North is one of 105 locks used to raise and lower boats traveling between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Large wooden gates were built at each end of the lock to hold water in the lock. A boat, pulled by a team of mules, would enter through an open gate, which was closed when the boat was fully in the lock. A wicket gate, or opening in one of the gates, would be opened and allow the water in the lock to raise or lower to the same level as the next stretch of water. Once the desired water level was reached, the gate in front of the boat would be opened and the boat could continue on its journey.
The sketch shows part of a typical canal lock gate. The Gate Collar and anchoring irons hold the top of the gate in position. T-braces and Corner Braces were used to reinforce the frame of the gate. The Turn Key was used to open and close the Wicket Gate, which allowed water in and out of the lock when the large gates were closed. As shown in this illustration, the lock tender manually opened and closed the large wooden gates, by pushing on the huge handles of the 7,000 pound gates.
Completed in 1845, the original Lock One North at New Bremen was constructed of white oak because of oak’s strength, resistance to deterioration, and availability. The wooden lock was replaced in 1910 using concrete. The present concrete structure, the third lock on this site, was rehabilitated and rebuilt between 2006-2007. During rehabilitation, great care was taken to maintain the appearance of the 1910 lock. The concrete was poured using forms specifically designed to replicate the wooden planks used in the 1910 lock. Several wrought iron anchors from the swinging gates on the south side were reused, and all other metal work was fabricated to match the 1910 construction. During removal of the upper levels of concrete of the 1910 lock, the original footers of the 1845 lock were reused in the 2006-2007 rehabilitation of the concrete lock.
Construction of the Canal
Hard work and hand tools were used in the construction of the Miami and Erie Canal. Because horses were scarce, men pushing wheel barrows hauled the dirt, trees, and stumps that needed to be removed from the canal path. These me worked from sunrise to sunset for a wage of about 30 cents per day and a jigger of whiskey.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Miami & Erie Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 40° 26.182′ N, 84° 22.842′ W. Marker is in New Bremen, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker is at the intersection of West Monroe Street (Ohio Route 247) and South Washington Street (Ohio Route 66), on the right when traveling east on West Monroe Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bremen OH 45869, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen (a few steps from this marker); Partners (within shouting distance of this marker); The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen (within shouting distance of this marker); New Bremen Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); 17 West Monroe Street (within shouting distance of this marker); New Bremen Volunteer Fire Department (within shouting distance of this marker); 14 West Monroe Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 18 West Monroe Street (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Bremen.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,312 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2023, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A better wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?