Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Stony Landing House
The Stony Landing House was built on land which was once part of the 12,000 acre Fairlawn Barony. Fairlawn was granted to Sir Peter Colleton, son of Lords Proprietor John Colleton, on September 7, 1678. John H. Dawson purchased 2,319 acres on March 20, 1839 from the Colleton Estate. He built this house as a planter's secondary home facing the Congaree Road, a major trade route of the early Carolinas. In comparison to the more elegant river homes of the time, Stony Landing was small and noted for its simplicity. It was constructed on brick pillars about 8 feet above ground. Some suggested reasons for this type of construction were to provide additional storage space, to increase air flow through the house, or to provide a cool shaded area for outdoor use during summer months. The arches under the house, a common architectural feature, support the fireplaces located on each floor.
The Stony Landing House has been remodeled through the years. It has been restored to its 1840's appearance and has been finished with reproduction furniture commonly, found throughout the southeast during the mid 19th century.
Some of the more notable
Dr. St. Julien Ravenel-medical doctor, chemist, historian and designer of the Little David, the first submersible torpedo boat.
Rembert C. Dennis - State Senator from Berkeley County from 1943 - 1988.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1831.
Location. 33° 11.573′ N, 79° 58.197′ W. Marker is in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker can be reached from Old Stony Landing Road. Located at the west side of the house, in Old Santee Canal State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target? (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure (about 600 feet away); C.S.S. David (approx. 0.2 miles away); Berkeley County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santee Canal (approx. ¼ mile away); Wadboo Barony (approx. one mile away); Wadboo Barony: Francis Marion’s Last Headquarters (approx. one mile away); First Site of Moncks Corner (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Also see . . . Old Santee Canal Park- Stony Landing House(Submitted on October 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,513 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.