Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethel in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Bethel Church

 
 
Old Bethel Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
1. Old Bethel Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1850, the people of this area decided to build a church where the Word of God could be preached and expounded. Burr and Emsey Glascock donated the land and were the main leaders. Private donations by the people of the community were a large factor in accomplishing the work. After the Civil War, the church needed extensive repair because it had been used as a hospital and horse stable by troops of both armies. Bethel which means “House of God” has faithfully served as a meeting place for all people. The church was moved to its present site in October 1977 where it is still loved by all who worship there – Amen.
 
Erected 1980 by Prince William County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 26.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraLandmarksNotable BuildingsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Prince William County Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1977.
 
Location. 38° 39.311′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 77° 18.525′ W. Marker is in Bethel, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Minnieville Road (Route 640) 0.1 miles west of Smoketown Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13506 Minnieville Road, Woodbridge VA 22192, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Bethel High School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Russell House and Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Glascock Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Telegraph Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); William Grayson’s Grave (approx. 1.8 miles away); Revolutionary Soldiers Spence and William Grayson (approx. 1.9 miles away); Spence and William Grayson (approx. 1.9 miles away); Benita Fitzgerald Drive (approx. 1.9 miles away).
 
Old Bethel Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
2. Old Bethel Church Marker
The Old Bethel Church can be seen in the distance.
Old Bethel Church relocation information image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
3. Old Bethel Church relocation information
Old Bethel Church
circa 1850
Relocated to this site on Columbus Day
Oct. 12, 1977
Old Bethel Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
4. Old Bethel Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,062 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2332

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024