New Bern in Craven County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
New Bern Academy
From School to Hospital
The yellow sidebar at the lower right reads: New Bern Academy was the first school established by law in North Carolina (1766). Fire destroyed the original building in 1795, and this Federal-style structure was erected by 1810. At first,
Erected 2004 by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1766.
Location. 35° 6.59′ N, 77° 2.501′ W. Marker is in New Bern, North Carolina, in Craven County. Marker is on New Street near Hancock Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bern NC 28560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named New Bern Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); George H. White (about 600 feet away); Political Duel (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian ChurchWilliam Henry Singleton (about 700 feet away); St. Peter's A.M.E. Zion Church (about 700 feet away); Cedar Grove Cemetery (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Bern.
More about this marker. The yellow sidebar reads: New Bern Academy was the first school established by law in North Carolina (1766). Fire destroyed the original building in 1795, and this Federal-style structure was erected by 1810. At first, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel subsidized the teachers, who had to be Anglican Church members. Before it became a graded public school, the Academy adhered to the Lancasterian system developed by an Englishman, Joseph Lancaster. Students were grouped by level of achievement rather than by age, and a pupil who had been promoted to a higher level led each class. The Academy’s role as a school ended in 1972.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,433 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 26, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.