Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Union Village

(1805 - 1912)

 
 
Union Village Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
1. Union Village Marker (Side A)
Inscription.  
Side A:
Union Village, the first and largest Shaker (United Society of Believers) community west of the Allegheny Mountains, was established in 1805. Nearly 4,000 Shakers lived in Union Village, the last living here until 1920. They owned 4,500 acres of land with more than 100 buildings. Union Village was parent to other communities in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Georgia. Shakers were among the most successful religious communal societies in the United States. Believe in equality of men and women, separation of sexes, confession, communal ownership of property, and celibacy helped define their society. The name "Shaker" was derived from the shaking and dancing that were part of their worship. Union Village Shakers were successful entrepreneurs selling herbal medicines, garden seeds, and brooms. They also raised and bred Poland China hogs, Durham cattle, and Merino sheep.

Side B:
Shaker buildings still extant:
1810 Trustees' Office (now Marble Hall), 1844 Center House (now Bethany Hall), 1893 Engine/Boiler House.

Union Village was purchased by the United Brethren in Christ Church in 1912. The site was a home
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
for children from 1913-1963, and a retirement center for adults from 1913 to the present. It is related to the United Methodist Church.
 
Erected 1997 by Otterbein-Lebanon Retirement Community and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-83.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureCharity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionCivil RightsIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsPeace. In addition, it is included in the Communal and Utopian Societies, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
 
Location. 39° 26.723′ N, 84° 16.705′ W. Marker is near Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 741 and Shaker Drive, on the right when traveling north on State Route 741. Marker is on the grounds of the Otterbein Retirement Center, 0.5 miles north of Ohio Route 63. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 585 N State Route 741, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Corwin (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ichabod Corwin (approx. 3.8 miles away); Eleanor Dell Clark Ullum (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lingo's Hardware
Union Village Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
2. Union Village Marker (Side B)
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Rotary Centennial Monument (approx. 3.8 miles away); 1795 Beedle Log Cabim (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Golden Lamb (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Reeves House (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
 
Union Village Buildings and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
3. Union Village Buildings and Marker
1810 Trustees' Office (now Marble Hall) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
4. 1810 Trustees' Office (now Marble Hall)
1844 Center House (now Bethany Hall) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
5. 1844 Center House (now Bethany Hall)
Union Village Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
6. Union Village Bell
Located under shelter next to marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,525 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on April 9, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   4, 5, 6. submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24074

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024