Coltons Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to St. Clement's Island
St. Clement's was the first landfall of the Maryland settlers in 1634. A Potomac River landmark for almost four centuries, it has been a thriving farm, a popular summer resort and a target for big guns. The island was also once a regular stop for Chesapeake steamboats running from Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Norfolk.
The Maryland settlers named this island after St. Clement, the Catholic patron saint of sailors and seas. It become "Blackistone Island" when settler Nehemiah Blackistone married Elizabeth Gerrard and acquired her property in 1669. The State of Maryland renamed is St. Clement's when it took possession in 1960.
Today, St. Clement's Island is a peaceful island retreat managed by the Maryland Park Service. Its nature trails, historical markers and beautiful vistas are open to the public year round from sunrise to sunset.
[photo of island] An aerial view of St. Clement's Island taken in 1991.
[photo of waterman] The Potomac waters around St. Clement's Island have always
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Location. 38° 12.5′ N, 76° 44.68′ W. Marker is in Coltons Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles from Colton Point Road (Route 242). Marker is on St. Clements Island which is only accessibly by boat. A ferry operates on weekends from the St. Clement's Island Museum on Point Breeze Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coltons Point MD 20626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blackistone Island Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); "With a laudable and pious zeal for the propagation of the Christian faith" (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Clement's Island (within shouting distance of this marker); A Target for Big Guns (within shouting distance of this marker); "...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac" (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shrinking Island (about 700 feet away); Maryland Began Here! (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Welcome to St. Clement's Island (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coltons Point.
More about this marker. There is an identical marker on the opposite side of the island, near the ferry dock.
Categories. • 20th Century • Agriculture • Military • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Welcome to St. Clement's Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.