Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas in Coffee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Coffee County

 
 
Coffee County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Coffee County Marker
Inscription.  
This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 9, 1854, is named for Gen. John Coffee who served in the Indian Wars and was a Member of Congress in 1833-36. He built the "Old Coffee Road," which forms part of the border between Berrien and Coffee Counties, over which to transport troops and supplies to Florida. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff B.H. Tanner, Ordinary Thomas Mobley, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts Whittington Moore, Tax Receiver John W. Machet, Tax Collector James R. Smith, Coroner Sim Parker and Surveyor Carver,
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 034-1B.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsLaw EnforcementSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 9, 1861.
 
Location. 31° 30.503′ N, 82° 51.032′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Georgia, in Coffee County. Marker is on South Peterson
Coffee County Marker , left, and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
2. Coffee County Marker , left, and Courthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Located between West Ward Street (State Road 32W) and West Ashley Street (State Road 32E). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglas GA 31533, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Coffee County (a few steps from this marker); Coffee County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Martin Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); The Coffee County Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas Surgical Institute and Infirmary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tanner Mercantile Company (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Tanner Mercantile Company (about 400 feet away); Tri - Hi - Y International (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
 
Also see . . .  Coffee County. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Coffee County Seat at Douglas image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
3. Coffee County Seat at Douglas
In Memory of James Pearson, Founder of Douglas, Ga. In 1858 Douglas was established as the county seat.
Coffee County Confederate Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
4. Coffee County Confederate Monument
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 706 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24295

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 1, 2022