Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Walker Memorial Church

 
 
Walker Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, November 9, 2009
1. Walker Memorial Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1818 before Alabama, Jefferson County, Elyton or Birmingham existed, The Elyton Methodist Church was established on Center Street. It was moved to 14 Second Avenue, and in 1909, to its present site. Renamed in 1910 for Corilla Porter Walker (1824-1908), a member, and dedicated May 14, 1944.
 
Erected 1948 by Birmingham Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & SettlersWomen. A significant historical date for this entry is May 14, 1943.
 
Location. 33° 30.132′ N, 86° 50.304′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Tuscaloosa Avenue SW and 3rd Street SW, on the left when traveling east on Tuscaloosa Avenue SW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilson's Raiders (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Elyton Courthouse Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Disabled American Veterans (approx. half a mile away); Smithfield
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Racial Zoning (approx. 0.8 miles away); Graymont Elementary School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Black Birmingham Housing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Urban Renewal, Urban Removal (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
 
Regarding Walker Memorial Church. The Church is now home of the House of Restoration Church.
 
Walker Memorial Church & Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, November 9, 2009
2. Walker Memorial Church & Marker
Walker Memorial Church Sanctuary image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, November 9, 2009
3. Walker Memorial Church Sanctuary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,890 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24348

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024