Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Green Spring Road

 
 
Green Spring Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Laura Troy, September 8, 2007
1. Green Spring Road Marker
Inscription.  The 17th century road to Green Spring, home of Governor Sir William Berkeley, was the eastern part of the Great Road, the earliest-developed English thoroughfare in Virginia. The Great Road ran from Jamestown Island toward the falls of the James River. The road was an important thoroughfare used to transport goods and forward communitcations between settlements. Originally, the Green Spring Road followed close to the James River, linking Jamestown to Green Spring. On 6 July 1781, the Revolutionary War Battle of Green Spring was fought in the fields flanking this road. By this time, the lower portion of the road(a part of present day Rte. 614) had shifted eastward.
 
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number V-42.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 6, 1781.
 
Location. 37° 14.105′ N, 76° 47.108′ W. Marker is near
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is on Greensprings Road (County Route 614) north of 4h Club Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor’s Land (here, next to this marker); Church on the Main (here, next to this marker); Battle Of Green Spring (here, next to this marker); Battle of Green Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel H. Yonge, Civil Engineer (1843-1935) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pocahontas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jamestown Road (approx. half a mile away); First Germans at Jamestown (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
More about this marker. Also sits with 3 other markers V41,V39,V46
 
Green Spring Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 12, 2010
2. Green Spring Road Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,477 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia.   2. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2441

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024