Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montrose in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Randolph County / Tucker County

 
 
Randolph County Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. Randolph County Side
Inscription.  
Randolph County. Formed from Harrison in 1787. Named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, Virginia statesman and soldier. Largest county in the State. Federal dominance of the Tygart's Valley in War between the states largely determined control of W.Va.

Tucker County. Formed in 1856 from Randolph. Named for Henry St. George Tucker, Virginia statesman and jurist. In this county is the Fairfax Stone, marking the boundry of the vast Fairfax estate. Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley among features.
 
Erected 2009 by West Virginia Archives & History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural FeaturesPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1787.
 
Location. 39° 5.427′ N, 79° 47.206′ W. Marker is in Montrose, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on U.S. 219, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montrose WV 26283, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seneca Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); Corrick's Ford (approx. 5˝ miles away); This Stone Commemorates the Battle of Corricks Ford (approx. 5˝ miles away); Corricks Ford Battlefield (approx. 5˝ miles away); a different marker also named Corricks Ford Battlefield (approx. 5˝ miles away); a different marker also named Corricks Ford (approx. 5˝ miles away); The Corrick House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Clash at Corricks Ford (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
Tucker County Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. Tucker County Side
Randolph County / Tucker County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
3. Randolph County / Tucker County Marker
An older version of this marker stood on the opposite side of the road. It was removed and replaced with this marker when the road was widened.
Blackwater Falls image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, March 27, 2021
4. Blackwater Falls
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 876 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on March 27, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24453

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024