Mount Kisco in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old North Castle Church
On this site St. Georges Church (“the Old North Castle Church”) was erected in 1761 by the generosity of St. George Talbot, Esq. of New York City and by the missionary zeal of the Rev. James Wetmore of Grace Church, Rye. Charles Haight, Esq, donated the land.
This Church stood until 1819 and was used during the Revolution as a hospital by the American forces after the Battle of White Plains, October 28, 1776, and as a British base for Colonel Tarleton's attack on Pound Ridge and Bedford, July 2, 1779. Major John Andre, as a prisoner of war, twice passed along this road on September 23, 1780. Revolutionary soldiers are buried in the southeast corner of this ground.
The house directly to the south of this churchyard was built in 1824 by the Methodist Society and was used for worship until 1842. Caleb Kirby, Esq. donated the land.
St. Mark's Church stood on this site from 1852 until its present buildings were erected in 1911.
This tablet was placed here by the Village of Mt. Kisco, 1929
Erected 1929 by Village of Mt. Kisco.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1917.
Location. 41° 11.668′ N, 73° 43.527′ W. Marker is in Mount Kisco, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (New York State Route 117) and Wallace Street, on the left when traveling north on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Kisco NY 10549, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church of Mount Kisco (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mount Kisco Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Christopher Columbus (approx. 0.9 miles away); For God and Country (approx. 3.1 miles away); School House 1829 (approx. 4.3 miles away); Middle Patent Rural Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Davenport House (approx. 4.7 miles away); North Castle World War I Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Kisco.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,202 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.