Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Niagara-on-the-Lake in Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Niagara Apothecary

La Pharmacie De Niagara

 
 
Niagara Apothecary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lora Szloh, November 14, 2009
1. Niagara Apothecary Marker
Inscription.  Acquired by the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969, the Niagara Apothecary is a fine example of a Confederation era commercial establishment and pharmacy. Although the building probably dates to the 1820's. It was extensively renovated in 1866 when it was taken over by an apothecary. At this time the Italianate windows weer installed and the interior fitted up as a drug store. Until it was closed in 1964 it was one of the oldest and one of the longest continuously operating pharmaceutical practices in Canada.

(Inscription is repeated in French)
La pharmacie de Niagara, acquis en 1969, par l'Ontario Heritage Foundation, represente bien la petite entreprise de l'ère de la Confédération. Erige probablement durant les années 1820, l'edifice fut restaure en 1866. A cette date, en installa les fenêtres de style italien on transforma l'intérieur en pharmacie. Avant sa fermeture en 1964, cette pharmacie etait l'une des plus anciennes et des actives au Canada.

Unveiled by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.
Niagara-On-The-Lake
July 5th 1981
 
Erected
Niagara Apothecary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 19, 2019
2. Niagara Apothecary Marker
1981 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
 
Location. 43° 15.297′ N, 79° 4.255′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Regional Municipality of Niagara. Marker is at the intersection of Queen Street and King Street, on the right when traveling south on Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Queen Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Niagara Agricultural Society (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Niagara (within shouting distance of this marker); Niagara Historical Society (within shouting distance of this marker); William Kirby (within shouting distance of this marker); Niagara on the Lake Historical District (within shouting distance of this marker); John Graves Simcoe (within shouting distance of this marker); First Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada (within shouting distance of this marker); Bicentennial of First Parliament (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Niagara Apothecary Commemorative Plaque image. Click for full size.
August 21, 2010
3. Niagara Apothecary Commemorative Plaque
This plaque, mounted on the King Street side of the corner of the pharmacy, indicates in English and French that the building is a property of Ontario Heritage Foundation, which acquired the building in 1969, and opened it as a museum in 1971.
The Niagara Apothecary (1869) and Marker image. Click for full size.
August 21, 2010
4. The Niagara Apothecary (1869) and Marker
Per the Niagara Apothecary Museum's website: The Niagara Apothecary at the Sign of the Golden Mortar is an excellent example of high style, eclectic mid-Victorian commercial architecture. The Italianate façade features arched glazed double doors and two arched plate glass show windows with accents of a Florentine "twisted rope" treatment.
 

More. Search the internet for Niagara Apothecary.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2009, by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,022 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 16, 2009, by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio.   2. submitted on September 21, 2019, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2010. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement