Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blackshear in Pierce County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

General Blackshear's Military Road

 
 
General Blackshear's Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 1, 2009
1. General Blackshear's Military Road Marker
Inscription.  Gen. David Blackshear
Ordered this military road
cut to Darien and on to
St. Marys July 1st. 1814
 
Erected 1925 by Blackshear Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesWar of 1812Wars, US Indian. A significant historical date for this entry is July 1, 1840.
 
Location. 31° 18.281′ N, 82° 14.468′ W. Marker is in Blackshear, Georgia, in Pierce County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway 15) and Highway Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackshear GA 31516, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pierce County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Prison Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Okefenokee Swamp (approx. 8.8 miles away); Nancy Hart Highway (approx. 9.1 miles away); Ware Court House (approx. 9.1 miles away); Senator Nicholas Ware (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Wildes Massacre
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 9.3 miles away); Methodism Came To Waycross (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackshear.
 
Regarding General Blackshear's Military Road. General David Blackshear built a chain of forts in the early 1800's along the Ocmulgee River for protection against the Indians during the War of 1812. This chain of 11 forts from Telfair County to Ft. Hawkins (present-day Macon, Ga.),One of these forts, Ft. Clark, probably named for Gen. Elijah Clark(e) and his son Gen. John Clark (later Governor of Ga.), was built at the present site of Blockhouse Church, Jacksonville, Ga., and was adjacent to a plantation owned by John Clark . General Blackshear is buried near the old community of Springfield, near Dublin, Ga.
 
General Blackshear's Military Road Constructed during the War of 1812 & Creek Indians Wars image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 1, 2009
2. General Blackshear's Military Road Constructed during the War of 1812 & Creek Indians Wars
as seen along West Main Street , southbound
Military Road Marker ,back side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 1, 2009
3. Military Road Marker ,back side
Blackshear Historical Society
Erected this tablet May 8, 1925
(List of 18 Members' Names)
General David Blackshear image. Click for full size.
Trudy Lord, Laurens County Historical Society/Dublin-Laurens Museum
4. General David Blackshear
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,980 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24736

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024