Near Barnesville in Lamar County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The historic Gachet home is situated at the crossing of Towns and old Alabama Roads, called Milner Cross Roads. This road was also an Indian trail.
Benjamin Gachet, a French nobleman, fled from a San Domingo revolution and settled in what is now Lamar County.
On March 19th, 1825, General Marquis de LaFayette, on his official visit to Georgia, spent the night at the Gachet home and the noted Frenchman was doubly welcomed as a patriot and visitor from France. This tablet was erected at the request of the Lamar-LaFayette Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 085-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 3.673′ N, 84° 12.505′ W. Marker is near Barnesville, Georgia, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 18 and Five Points Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 18. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barnesville GA 30204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles Federals at Barnesville (approx. 2˝ miles away); Confederate Hospital (approx. 3.1 miles away); Barnesville Blues (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lamar County (approx. 3.1 miles away); Confederate Hospitals (approx. 3.1 miles away); Roosevelt’s Barnesville Speech (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gordon Military College (approx. 3.4 miles away); A&M - G.I.C. (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barnesville.
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Gachet Home.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,270 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 27, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.