Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Washington Powder Magazine
Beneath this building lies the powder magazine of Fort Washington, the major military outpost of the United States in the Northwest Territory, 1789-1808. The magazine was uncovered in October, 1952 when footers were being excavated. It is the only significant, identifiable evidence of the fort which has been found.
The magazine was a five-sided structure made of hand-hewn timbers and planking. It was approximately 25 feet deep. Here was stored the ammunition for the expeditions of the Indian Wars (1790-1795) which broke the Indian resistance and opened the Northwest Territory to peaceful American settlement.
Erected 1953 by The Western and Southern Life Insurance Company.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Government & Politics • Man-Made Features • Military • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 39° 6.016′ N, 84° 30.346′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stephen C. Foster (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Washington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Washington (about 400 feet away); Lytle Park (about 500 feet away); Famous Lytle Neighbors (about 500 feet away); A Beginning . . . (about 500 feet away); Lytle At Christmas (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Washington (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
More about this marker. An identical marker is located at the SW corner of the parking garage at Broadway and 3rd Street.
Also see . . . Fort Washington. (Submitted on November 28, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.