Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hampden in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Evergreen on the Falls

National Register of Historic Places

 
 
Evergreen on the Falls Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 16, 2007
1. Evergreen on the Falls Marker
Inscription.  Surveyed for John Walsh in 1754, large square cupola once crowned brick mansion. Built in Italianate style c.1860 by Henry Snyder. Leased after 1864 to James Hooper, owner of Meadow Mill. Estate was sold in 1870 to David Carroll, co-owner of Mount Vernon Mills. Acquired by Maryland Society for prevention of Cruelty to Animals in 1926. Granite structure, 1860 was valve house for Hampton Reservoir (filled with earth from Jones Falls Expressway Excavation.)
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsAnthropology & ArchaeologyColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1754.
 
Location. 39° 19.688′ N, 76° 38.045′ W. Marker is in Hampden in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Falls Road (Maryland Route 25) 0.1 miles south of 36th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Whitehall Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mill No. 3 (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War II Memorial
Mansion House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 16, 2007
2. Mansion House
Now occupied by Maryland SPCA
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Mill No. 1 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saving Okapi (approx. 0.4 miles away); Family Matters (approx. half a mile away); African Savannah Elephant (approx. half a mile away); Living with Elephants (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampden.
 
National Register Marker on Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 16, 2007
3. National Register Marker on Building
Hampton Reservoir and Pump (Valve) House image. Click for full size.
circa late 1950s
4. Hampton Reservoir and Pump (Valve) House
Pump House When the Reservoir was Being Filled In image. Click for full size.
circa 1962
5. Pump House When the Reservoir was Being Filled In
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,465 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4, 5. submitted on October 28, 2007, by Ruth Louise Mathews Henry of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Current photo of former valve house • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2520

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 6, 2022