Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milner in Lamar County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Confederate Hospital

>>>------>

 
 
Confederate Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
1. Confederate Hospital Marker
Inscription.  On this side stood one of Milnerís temporary hospitals for Confederate soldiers wounded in the Battles of Atlanta and Jonesboro in 1864. These men were hastily evacuated south on the only railroad from Atlanta still operated by the C.S.A. at that time. Dr. John F. Hunt, local physician, doctors from nearby communities and townspeople fed and cared for the wounded. 108 of these soldiers, from various companies and several southern states, died at Milner and were buried in a cemetery a mile from town on the Liberty Hill Road.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 085-6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
 
Location. 33° 7.259′ N, 84° 11.752′ W. Marker is in Milner, Georgia, in Lamar County. Marker is on Main Street (Old U.S. 41) 0.2 miles north of Liberty Hill Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 179 Main Street, Milner GA 30257, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gachet Home (approx. 4.2 miles away); Federals at Barnesville (approx. 4.4 miles away); First Grain Elevator (approx. 4.6 miles away); Barnesville Railroad Depot (approx. 5.1 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Hospital (approx. 5.1 miles away); Women of the Confederacy (approx. 5.2 miles away); Streamliner Nancy Hanks II (approx. 5.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker points to a small brick cemetery with two graves; these are not related to the marker.
 
Confederate Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Confederate Hospital Marker
Confederate Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
3. Confederate Hospital Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,284 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25345

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024