Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tignall in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church

 
 
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  The Methodist Society, which was later organized into Pope’s Chapel Church, was first organized in August 1786 by Thomas Humphries at the home of James Marks located in what is now Elbert County about 1 ½ miles Northeast of Baker’s Ferry on Broad River. When Elbert County was formed in 1790 from Wilkes County it left most of the church members in Wilkes County, so the church was moved south into Wilkes and located about two mile from Broad River on property owned by John Landrum adjoining his birthplace on the east side of Baker’s Ferry Road. It was in this location that it received its name, in honor of Rev. Henry Pope who supplied most of the timber for the building. Bishop Asbury preached the Dedication Sermon there in 1805. In 1852 the church was again moved about 2 miles southeast to its present location. In 1871 Trustees of the church were Benjamin W. Fortson, M. T. Cash, Augustus A. Neal and James W. Boyd. A second building was constructed here in 1897 in which 2 stained glass windows were installed as a memorial to Benjamin Winn Fortson and his wife Hannah Rebecca Ogilvie by their children. The Dedication Sermon was preached by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Lundye Harris in 1898. This building, severely damaged by windstorms was replaced in 1957 by the present building.
 
Erected 1978 by Tignall United Methodist Charge.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
 
Location. 33° 56.65′ N, 82° 42.367′ W. Marker is near Tignall, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on Pope Chapel Road, 0.2 miles south of County Route 193, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tignall GA 30668, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nancy Hart Cabin (approx. 4 miles away); Nancy Hart (approx. 5.1 miles away); Independence United Methodist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Village of Danburg (approx. 6.1 miles away); Chenault (approx. 6˝ miles away); Fishing Creek Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); USS Scorpion (SS-278) (approx. 7.4 miles away); Bobby Brown State Park Monument (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tignall.
 
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
2. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
3. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
This building was built in 1957, replacing the 1897 building
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
4. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
5. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
6. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
7. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
8. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery
Henderson McDonald Walton (l) and Annie W. Walton (r) Tombstones image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
9. Henderson McDonald Walton (l) and Annie W. Walton (r) Tombstones
Benjamin W. Fortson Tombstone<br>Mentioned on the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
10. Benjamin W. Fortson Tombstone
Mentioned on the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,465 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on December 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25443

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024