Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Phillips Mills Baptist Church

 
 
Phillips Mills Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
1. Phillips Mills Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  On June 10th, 1785, 16 members met in a mill on this site owned by Joel Phillips, a Revolutionary soldier, and organized Phillips Mills Baptist Church. The Rev. Silas Mercer, leader of the group, became the first pastor of the church, and served in that capacity for 11 years. His son, Jesse Mercer, was received into the church on July 7, 1787, at the age of eighteen. Later he was ordained to the ministry in the old church, and followed his father as its pastor, serving this church for thirty-seven years.

The present edifice is the second to be built on the site, which was donated to the church by Joel Phillips. Since its organization, many important conferences have been held in Phillips Mills Church, and young men whose names are now famous in the ministry have preached their first sermons here.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-23.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & Commerce
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
War, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1899.
 
Location. 33° 40.088′ N, 82° 52.976′ W. Marker is near Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of Greensboro Road (Georgia Route 44) and Rocker Road (County Route 50), on the right when traveling west on Greensboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Kettle Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Kettle Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); Kettle Creek Battlefield (approx. 1.6 miles away); Kettle Creek Battleground (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Chivers Plantation and Store (approx. 4.9 miles away); Birthplace of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (approx. 6˝ miles away); Columbus Granade (approx. 6˝ miles away); Bethesda Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
 
Phillips Mills Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
2. Phillips Mills Baptist Church Marker
Looking east on Georgia Highway 44, toward Washington
Phillips Mills Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
3. Phillips Mills Baptist Church
Millstones are original from Joel Phillips' grist mill and were imported from the Paris Basin in Europe.
Phillips Mills Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
4. Phillips Mills Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,480 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25513

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024