Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Forsyth in Monroe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Monroe County

 
 
Monroe County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
1. Monroe County Marker
Inscription.  Created by Act of May 15, 1821, Monroe County, an original county containing all of Pike and parts of Bibb, Butts and Lamar Counties, was ceded by the Creek Indians in early 1821. Laid out by the Lottery Act, it was rapidly occupied by large numbers of small landowners. The county was named for James Monroe, President of the U.S. (1817-1825) . First officers, commissioned Apr. 1, 1822 were: John Cureton, Sheriff; Wilkins Hunt, Clk. Sup. Ct.; Isaac Welch, Clk. Inf. Ct.; John Tomlinson, Coroner; James Holloway, Surveyor. James Whatley became Surveyor and Henry Jourdan, Coroner, on Sept. 17, 1822.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 102-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #05 James Monroe, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists.
 
Location. 33° 2.059′ N, 83° 56.356′ W. Marker is in Forsyth
Monroe County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Monroe County Marker
The WPA "Where Uncle Remus Came of Age" marker can be seen to the right.
, Georgia, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jackson Street and West Main Street (U.S. 41), on the left when traveling south on South Jackson Street. The marker is located at the southwest corner of the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forsyth GA 31029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Where Uncle Remus Came of Age (here, next to this marker); Forsyth (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bessie Tift College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Georgia Militia at Forsyth (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Hospital Camp (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tift College (approx. 0.6 miles away); State Teachers and Agricultural College / Hubbard Training School (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forsyth.
 
Monroe County Marker and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
3. Monroe County Marker and Courthouse
Monroe County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
4. Monroe County Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1896, as a cost of "nearly $30,000." It replaced an earlier courthouse on the site built in 1825.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 27, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 26, 2020