Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Ruff Memorial Wheelmen's Bench / Cycle Carnival 1897
Erected 1897 by Ky. Div. of League of American Wheelmen to honor cycling pioneer A.D. Ruff (1827-96) of Owingsville, Ky. The League's oldest member, he had bicycled to Yellowstone National Park in 1893. Marble fountain and stone bench, known to generations of cyclists as "Wheelmen's Bench," designed by famed sculptor Enid Yandell.
On October 8, 1897, a parade of 10,000 cyclists passed here to celebrate a new cinder bicycling path along Southern Parkway. Viewed by 50,000 spectators, parade began at Third and Broadway and ended at Iroquois Cycle Club. Many cyclists were in costume; ladies wore bloomers. Bugles and cannon fire marked the parade's progress. Presented by the Louisville Bicycle Club - 1997
Erected 1997 by The Kentucky Historical Society & the Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1997.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles • Sports.
Location. 38° 12.108′ N, 85° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville KY 40214, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roscoe Goose House / Golden Goose, 1891-1971 (approx. ¼ mile away); Churchill Downs (approx. half a mile away); Founding of Jefferson Seminary (approx. 0.9 miles away); Louis D. Brandeis (1856-1941) (approx. one mile away); Belknap Campus (approx. one mile away); Grotto & Garden of Our Lady of Lourdes (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dr. J. Blaine Hudson, Jr. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Tom Moore Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on January 12, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.