Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red
(1827 - 1886)
Rebecca Jane Kilgore Stuart became principal of Live Oak Female Seminary in Washington County, Texas, in 1853. In 1854 she married Dr. George Clark Red and continued teaching. The Reds moved to Austin in 1876, and opened Stuart Female Seminary at 1212 East 9th Street. Rebecca continued teaching until nine days before her death in 1886. She was buried in Oakwood Cemetery. Her heirs donated her property to the Presbyterian Synod of Texas in 1899. The Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary was operated at that site from 1902 until 1907.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15556.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 30° 17.523′ N, 97° 44.269′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 27th Street and Wichita Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E 27th Street, Austin TX 78712, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Campus (within shouting distance of this marker); All Saints’ Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buen Retiro (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zeta Tau Alpha House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whitley-Keltner House (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Elbridge Hines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Littlefield Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 15 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?