Lebanon in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lebanon Reformed Church Cemetery
Three buildings have stood upon this site, the first of which was a log church built approximately 1780. The second was of frame - 1790.
In 1793 the graveyard wall was built, the third building erected on this site was constructed of brick in 1817.
Within the cemetery the oldest recorded tombstone dates to 1769 - the oldest found to date is 1771.
Erected 1984 by Historical Committee, Lebanon Reformed Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1731.
Location. 40° 38.244′ N, 74° 50.009′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Cherry Street just north of Corporate Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lebanon NJ 08833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Lebanon Reformed Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lebanon Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lebanon (approx. ¾ mile away); Bluebirds, On The Road To Recovery (approx. 1½ miles away); Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility (approx. 1.7 miles away); Potterstown (approx. 1.9 miles away); Central Railroad Of New Jersey (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
1. Age of the Lebanon Cemetery
The cemetery and church are earlier than 1780 as there is a survey done by Benj. Morgan in 1765 that shows the church on this site as well as seven "plantations". In 1769 Walter Rutherfurd sold the land to the "elders of the Calvanistical Congregation" for one shilling. The deed was not recorded until 1796 causing some confusion among modern historians. The church is also indicated on Map 77A of the Erskine and DeWitt series which were produced for Gen. Washington during the Revolutionary War.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,486 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 15, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.