Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Departure of the Wyandot Indians
Ohio Historical Marker
The 1817 Treaty of Fort Meigs opened much of northwest Ohio to white settlement. In return, the U.S. Government granted the Wyandot Nation permanent use of the Grand Reserve at present-day Upper Sandusky. There farming continued, a school was built, and, in 1824, this Mission Church was constructed by Indians and Methodist missionaries. However, the Indian Removal Act of 1830 called for relocation of all eastern Native Americans to areas beyond the Mississippi River. By 1840, all Ohio Indians had been removed except for the Wyandot, who refused to leave, preferring instead to stay upon their beloved Sandusky (now known as Killdeer) Plains.
Facing considerable pressure from Federal authorities, the Wyandot Nation in 1842 agreed to relinquish the Grand Reserve and move west. From this site on July 12, 1843, 664 individuals began their week-long journey to awaiting steamboats at Cincinnati. The Wyandot were the last organized Native American people to leave Ohio, settling in modern-day Kansas and Oklahoma. (Continued on side two)
(Continued from side one) In remembrance of the Wyandot Indians.
(Engraving of enclosed artwork; the Wyandot branding iron design)
The branding iron design used by the Wyandot Nation, late 1700s.
Erected 1999 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, City of Upper Sandusky, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-88.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Notable Events. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1863.
Location. 40° 50.136′ N, 83° 16.696′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is at the intersection of East Church Street and North 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Church Street. To view this historic marker, when traveling on US 23, take the exit for state routes 53 and 67 and head south towards the village of Upper Sandusky, Ohio, for approximately 1.6 miles. Then look to turn left (east) on East Church Street. Upon turning onto East Church Street, head east for approximately 0.2 miles and the marker should be readily seen on the left (north) side of the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Church Street, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyandott Indian Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Wyandot Mission Church (within shouting distance of this marker); John Stewart (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Wyandot Mission Church (about 400 feet away); Wyandot County World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wyandot County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wyandot County Vietnam War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Wyandot County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,318 times since then and 127 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.