Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Glen Burnie

"Winchester is a very pleasant place to stay in, sir."

 
 
Glen Burnie Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 15, 2007
1. Glen Burnie Marker
Inscription.  This historic Shenandoah Valley home, known as Glen Burnie, is the homestead of Col. James Wood, who founded Winchester on a portion of his land in 1744. Wood’s son, Robert, began the present house in 1794, but the estate was home to the Wood-Glass families from the 1730s to the 1990s.

During the Civil War, Winchester changed hands many times, as Union and Confederate forces occupied, fought over, and won or lost possession of the town. Each side occupied Glen Burnie several times because of the proximity of the North Western Turnpike (present-day U.S. Rte. 50) between Winchester and Romney (now West Virginia) and good water from springs here. In June 1861, Southern-minded Marylanders encamped here and formed the 1st Maryland Infantry, C.S.A. They later fought the 1st Maryland Infantry, U.S.A. at the Battle of Front Royal on May 23rd, 1862.

Tides of blue and gray swept across the hills and fields of Glen Burnie during all three major battles for Winchester in 1862, 1863, and 1864. Combat damage and occupation caused the farm’s agricultural productivity and value to decline as livestock, farm buildings, fences and timber
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
were taken or destroyed. After the war, family members went west to begin new lives, homes, and fortunes, and eventually left Glen Burnie as a legacy to the Winchester community.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1912.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 39° 11.226′ N, 78° 10.643′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Amherst Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east. Located in the parking lot for the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Amhurst Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Home of Colonel James Wood, Sr. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of James Wood, Junior (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Glen Burnie (about 700 feet away); Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd (approx. 0.3 miles away); A "Malicious Design" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Daniel Morgan House
Marker in Front of the Outbuildings of Glen Burnie image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 15, 2007
2. Marker in Front of the Outbuildings of Glen Burnie
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Catherine B. Conrad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Little-Holiday House (approx. half a mile away); Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax of Cameron (approx. half a mile away); Braddock Street United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
More about this marker. In the center, a drawing carries the caption, “This illustration from a contemporary newspaper shows members of the newly formed 1st Maryland Infantry, C.S.A. at play here at Glen Burnie in the summer of 1861.”

On the upper right is a photograph captioned, “Glen Burnie looked much this way when, on Christmas Eve, 1862, Cornelia McDonald living across the road saw a regiment of Federal Cavalry ‘take possession of Mr. Wood’s yard and beautiful grounds, attracted no doubt by the grass which is still green in many places’.”

On the lower right is a drawing captioned, “One of three springs on the original James Wood homestead, this spring located on the north side of Amherst Street, supplied water to Winchester since its beginning and to many a soldier, blue and gray.”

This
Playing Football Before Evening Parade image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Wikipedia
3. Playing Football Before Evening Parade
This illustration from a contemporary newspaper shows members of the newly formed 1st Maryland Infantry, C.S.A. at play here at Glen Burnie in the summer of 1861.
Harpers Weekly, August 31 1861.
marker was replaced by a new also one named Glen Burnie (see nearby markers).
 
Also see . . .
1. Glen Burnie House - Museum of the Shenandoah. (Submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. 1st Maryland Infantry, CSA. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
 
Glen Burnie image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 21, 2015
4. Glen Burnie
Glen Burnie looked much this way when, on Christmas Eve, 1862, Cornelia McDonald living across the road saw a regiment of Federal Cavalry “take possession of Mr. Wood’s yard and beautiful grounds, attracted no doubt by the grass which is still green in many places”.
Close-up of photo on marker
Spinghouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 21, 2015
5. Spinghouse
One of three springs on the original James Wood homestead, this spring located on the north side of Amherst Street, supplied water to Winchester since its beginning and to many a soldier, blue and gray.
Close-up of image on marker
The Springhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 21, 2015
6. The Springhouse
Glen Burnie image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 21, 2015
7. Glen Burnie
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,437 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 25, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2665

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2024