Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near McKenney in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
MISSING
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Sallie Jones Atkinson

1860-1943

 
 
Sallie Jones Atkinson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, January 21, 2010
1. Sallie Jones Atkinson Marker
Inscription.  Sallie Jones Atkinson, prominent educator and community leader in Dinwiddie County and her husband, John Pryor Atkinson, gave the land on which Sunnyside High School was built in 1911. By her vision, tireless industry, and determination, the school became the first eight-month rural school accredited in Virginia. Mrs. Atkinson also served on the state committee that worked to secure Governor Montague's approval for women's suffrage.
 
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-304.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil RightsEducationWomen. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 36° 59.642′ N, 77° 46.214′ W. Marker was near McKenney, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker was at the intersection of McKenney Highway (Virginia Route 40) and Old
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
White Oak Road (Virginia Route 610), on the right when traveling west on McKenney Highway. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Mc Kenney VA 23872, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Origins of 4-H in Virginia (a few steps from this marker); Birthplace of Roger Atkinson Pryor (a few steps from this marker); Brunswick County, Virginia (approx. 4 miles away); Birch's Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Dinwiddie County / Brunswick County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Darvills School (approx. 5 miles away); Elizabeth Hobbs Keckley (1818-1907) (approx. 5˝ miles away); Sapony Episcopal Church (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKenney.
 
Additional keywords. Women's suffrage
 
McKenney Highway (facing east) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, January 21, 2010
2. McKenney Highway (facing east)
McKenney Highway (facing west) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, January 21, 2010
3. McKenney Highway (facing west)
Pole of missing marker is circled in red image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
4. Pole of missing marker is circled in red
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   4. submitted on August 21, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26838

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2024