Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Surry in Surry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

History on Crouch’s Creek

 
 
History on Crouch's Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
1. History on Crouch's Creek Marker
Inscription.  Originally called Tappahannock Creek by the English, Crouch’s Creek flowed through a number of early English settlements. By 1625 George Sandys had holdings in Surry County, known as Treasurer’s Plantation, east of the creek. Sandys was a poet, a member of the Council of State, and treasurer of the Virginia Company. Returning to England by the late 1620s, he published and English translation of Ovid’s Metamorphoses. Thomas Crouch patented land on the creek in 1638 and eventually the creek took his name. By 1702, a ferry operated between Jamestown and Crouch’s Creek.
 
Erected 2004 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-234.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicColonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1625.
 
Location. 37° 7.77′ N, 76° 48.336′ W. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is near Surry, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is at the intersection of Alliance Road and Colonial Trail East (Virginia Route 10), on the right when traveling north on Alliance Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Surry VA 23883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chippokes Plantation (here, next to this marker); Pleasant Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Surry County WWII Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Capt. Jacob Faulcon, C.S.A. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Surry County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Smith’s Fort Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); Surry County War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Chanco (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Surry.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,493 times since then and 91 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2687

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024