Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camilla in Mitchell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mitchell County

 
 
Mitchell County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
1. Mitchell County Marker
Inscription.  The county was created by an Act of the Georgia Legislature on Dec. 21, 1857. Some historians say that the county was named for David B. Mitchell, Governor of Georgia in 1809-13 and again in 1815-17, and that Camilla was named for his daughter.

However, the Georgia Laws of 1857 (pages 38-40), creating Mitchell county, say the county was named in honor of Gen Henry Mitchell, who was born in 1760 and died in 1839. He was a State Senator from Warren County, President of the Senate in 1809, Presidential Elector in 1812, 1816 & 1820, and an outstanding Georgian. He was a Brigadier General of Georgia troops in the post-Revolutionary period.

The first officials of Mitchell County, who took office in 1858, were Sheriff Joshua P. Crosby; Ordinary John W. Pearce; Clerk of Superior Court Montford S. Poore; Clerk of Inferior Court Joseph T. Ellis; Tax Receiver John T. Allen; Tax Collector George West; Treasurer Nathan Maples; Surveyor Murdock McLeod, and Coroner William West.

David West donated fifty acres of his land as a site for the Court House and Jail. A two story frame Court House was built in 1860 and replaced by the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
present brick building in 1890.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 101-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1922.
 
Location. 31° 13.867′ N, 84° 12.55′ W. Marker is in Camilla, Georgia, in Mitchell County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street (Georgia Route 37) and North Court Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. The marker is on the Mitchell Courthouse lawn. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camilla GA 31730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camilla Massacre (within shouting distance of this marker); Mitchell County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Well (within shouting distance of this marker); The Spirit of Camilla (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Valentine's Day Tornados (approx. half a mile away); Hawthorne Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Neuhauser Building (approx. 8 miles away); Baker County (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camilla.
 
Mitchell County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
2. Mitchell County Courthouse
This courthouse was built in 1937, replacing the 1890 courthouse mentioned on the marker (which had been torn down long before the marker was erected).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27094

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024