Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellaville in Schley County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pond Town

 
 
Pond Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
1. Pond Town Marker
Inscription.  Pond Town, named for its proximity to several ponds, had beginnings as a relay station for the stagecoach line which ran from Hamburg to Preston. Some say white men were living in the area as early as 1808, certainly by 1812.

Located on the border between Sumter and Marion counties, Pond Town became a lively little community with horse racing and whiskey drinking as favorite amusements. A post office was established in 1833 with Lovett B. Smith as postmaster.

In 1840 there was a migration of some 20 families to Mississippi which almost depopulated Pond Town. At this date there was as yet no church building. A Baptist congregation was organized in 1843.

Schley County was formed in 1857 and a central site chosen for the county seat. This site, Ellaville, was ½ mile north of Pond Town. Ellaville’s charter in 1859 effectively sealed Pond Town’s fate, and several families moved their houses to the new site.

Today the site of Pond Town is occupied by the city cemetery.
 
Erected by Schley County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Cemeteries & Burial SitesEntertainmentSettlements & SettlersSportsWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
 
Location. 32° 13.929′ N, 84° 18.519′ W. Marker is in Ellaville, Georgia, in Schley County. Marker is on South Broad Street (U.S. 19) 0.1 miles north of Callaway Drive, on the right when traveling north. The marker is at the north end of the city cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellaville GA 31806, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burton House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Schley County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bank of Ellaville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gill Drug Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Suwannee Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Peacock Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ellaville High School • Schley County High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ellaville High School (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellaville.
 
Pond Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
2. Pond Town Marker
Looking south on US 19, on the right
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,237 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27112

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024