Near McConnellsburg in Fulton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Two Confederate soldiers, killed June 29, 1863, in a skirmish with Union troops, were buried here by local residents. The monument in their honor was erected by Daughters of the Confederacy.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Heroes • Military • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is June 29, 1778.
Location. 39° 55.442′ N, 77° 59.025′ W. Marker is near McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, in Fulton County. Marker is on Buchanan Trail (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the right when traveling north. Memorial is about 150 feet north of the intersection of Buchanan Trail and Horton Road (Township Road 505). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 547 Buchanan Trail (PA Route 16), Mc Connellsburg PA 17233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Confederate Soldiers (here, next to this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pleasures of Roadside Dining (approx. half a mile away); Changing Main Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); Traveling the Lincoln Highway (approx. one mile away); George Diven (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Changing Main Street (approx. one mile away); Fulton County Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McConnellsburg.
Also see . . . Confederate Dead (McConnellsburg) - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,697 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.