Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Buena Vista in Marion County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Perry

1813

 
 
Fort Perry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
1. Fort Perry Marker
Inscription.  One half mile due east lies the site of Fort Perry, along the Old Federal Road. A stockade fort, defended by block houses, this post was ordered erected by General John Floyd, of Camden county, as he led a body of 400 Georgia Militiamen through this friendly Indian country to fight the Red Sticks across the Chattahoochee river in Alabama territory. Completed in October 1813, it was named in honor of Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry, Naval hero of the War of 1812, whose message from the Battle of Lake Erie that “We have met the enemy and they are ours” gave him immortal fame.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 098-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative AmericansWar of 1812Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1813.
 
Location. 32° 28.691′ N, 84° 32.647′ W. Marker is near Buena Vista, Georgia, in Marion County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on Georgia Route 41, 0 miles north of Fort Perry Road (County Route 49), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6185 GA Highway 41, Buena Vista GA 31803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Federal Road (a few steps from this marker); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Courthouse – 1848 (approx. 9.1 miles away); New Courthouse - 1850 (approx. 11.1 miles away); Private First Class Luther H. Story (approx. 11.2 miles away); Talbotton United Methodist Church (approx. 13˝ miles away); a different marker also named William Bartram Trail (approx. 13.6 miles away); Zion Episcopal Church (approx. 13.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buena Vista.
 
Fort Perry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
2. Fort Perry Marker
Looking north on Georgia Highway 41, toward the town of Geneva
Fort Perry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
3. Fort Perry Marker
Looking north from Fort Perry Road, with the Fort Perry marker on the right, and a marker for the Old Federal Road directly across Georgia Highway 41.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,971 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27255

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024