Merrillville in Lake County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Henry D. Palmer, M.D. (1809-1877) located at this site in 1836. First physician in Lake County, he was also counselor to the pioneers for 40 years and member of the underground railroad aiding escaped slaves.
Erected 1949 by Woman's Auxillary, Lake County Medical Society. (Marker Number 45.1949.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list.
Location. 41° 29.106′ N, 87° 22.371′ W. Marker is in Merrillville, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is on 73rd Place, on the left when traveling west. Marker is about 250 feet SE of the intersection of Taney Place and West 73rd Avenue, across 73rd Place from the Weslyan Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2985 W 73rd Place, Merrillville IN 46410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Great Sauk (Sac) Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); W.W.II Triangle MemorialThe Old Lake County Courthouse, 1878 (approx. 4.7 miles away); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 5.6 miles away); St. John Township School District #2 (approx. 6 miles away); Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section" (approx. 7.1 miles away); Froebel School (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,208 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.