Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
A County Older Than The State, Morgan County
Named Morgan County in 1821 for Maj. Gen. Daniel Morgan, Revolutionary hero, winner over British at Battle of Cowpens. County was often invaded by both armies in War between the States.
Until 1891 county seat at Somerville. Then county seat moved to Decatur. Named for Stephen Decatur, naval hero against Tripoli pirates and in War of 1812.
Erected 1958 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
Location. 34° 36.455′ N, 86° 59.045′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Cain Street Northeast west of Ferry Street Northeast, on the left when traveling west. Located on the northside of the Morgan County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan County World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); World War One (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean War (within shouting distance of this marker); Decatur Vietnam War Monument"Scottsboro Boys" Case Landmark Decisions (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (USA) (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
1. Marker to be Refurbished.
The Alabama Historical Association has just awarded Morgan County a historical marker grant to refurbish the marker by giving it a fresh coat of paint, new gold-leaf applied to the lettering, and the marker will sit atop a new pole when the refurbishment is complete. The marker will be shipped to Marietta, Ohio, to be refurbished by SEWAH Studios, which made the original marker in 1958. The work will take between 12 and 16 months and officials hope to unveil the refurbished marker during the county’s bicentennial next year.
— Submitted April 1, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,674 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 4, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 2. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 4. submitted on August 4, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 5. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.