Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
William J. Paugh House
According to Parish family lore, Charles was in love with a local school teacher and built the house to encourage her to marry him. When he was unable to win her hand in marriage, he decided to hold a raffle, in which the house would be the first prize. In 1860 and the first few months of 1861 he sold 8,650 tickets throughout the state for "The Charles L. Parish Gift and Musical Entertainment Raffle". Large advertisements for the raffle, listing the price of $1.00 per ticket, appeared in the Amador Ledger-Dispatch and the Sacramento Union.
The raffle was won by Dr. William J. Paugh, who at the time was Amador County's second Sheriff, the first having been killed in the famous "Rancheria Massacre". The Paugh family lived in the house until 1870, at which time they sold it to George Snowden Andrews, Jackson Wells Fargo agent from 1857 to 1875. The family then moved to San Francisco,
In 1884 the owner of the house, Superior Court Judge George Moore, was shot and killed in the sitting room. Although it was ruled a suicide, the widow vowed to spend the rest of her life proving that it was done by an assassin. The evidence was on her side, and Governor Stoneman was subsequently persuaded to offer a $500.00 reward for the conviction of the killer. The murderer, if there was one, was never found.
In 1918 Susan Hocking, who owned the house with her husband Tobias T. Hocking, died from the Spanish flu, the worst pandemic in human history. She is buried in the Jackson City Cemetery.
In 1940 the house was bought by Walter and Margaret Voss. Walter died in 1958. Margaret, an educated and strong willed woman, lived there until her death in 2001, having lived in three centuries.
The house was purchase by Jerry and Jeaette Chaix in 2001, and completely restored in the years 2002-2006. It was placed on The National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
For a complete history of the house, its restoration, and more stories, see: www.parish-paughhouse.com
Erected 2009 by home owner. (Marker Number NR07000507.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 38° 20.964′ N, 120° 46.243′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Center Street near State Highway 88, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Center Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memoriam: The '49ers (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sesquicentennial Court House Site (about 700 feet away); The Court House Well (about 700 feet away); Constitution Saloon (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Constitution Saloon (about 800 feet away); Jackson Fire Bell (about 800 feet away); Law Office (about 800 feet away); Masonic Hall & Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Additional keywords. Gothic Revival, Carpenter Gothic, Gothic revival
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2010, by Gerald Chaix of Jackson, Ca.. This page has been viewed 1,631 times since then and 61 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week March 21, 2010. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2010, by Gerald Chaix of Jackson, Ca.. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.