Guelph in Wellington County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
The Founding of the University of Guelph
On October 1, 1873, the Ontario government purchased 550 acres of land near Guelph to establish a school of agriculture. The move followed several of debate over suitable sites for an agricultural school and the role it would play in advancing the province's primary industry. Moreton Lodge Farm at Guelph was chosen after a government appointed commission recommended that the Ontario School of Agriculture should be near an established agricultural commimity where practical training would complement classroom instruction to ensure that the school's emphasis remained on agricultural education.
The Ontario School of Agriculture and Experimental Farm opened May 1, 1874, to produce graduates who would elevate farming in Ontario to higher levels of efficiency and prosperity. In 1888, the renamed Ontario Agricultural College and Experimental Farm (OAC) achieved degree-granting status in affiliation with the University of Toronto.
OAC president James Mills and Adelaide Hunter Hoodless, one of the founders of the Women's Institute, shared a common vision for a school of domestic science for young rural women. They garnered private funds from industrialist Sir William Macdonald to establish Macdonald Institute on the OAC campus and build the adjoining Macdonald Hall residence in 1903. Continued success led to a four-year Macdonald Institute degree program in 1948 in affiliation with the University of Toronto.
The Ontario Veterinary College began in Toronto in 1862 as a private institution and became affiliated with the University of Toronto in 1919, It prepared students for careers as veterinarians in an era that relied heavily on horses for transportation. North America's oldest veterinary college was moved to the Guelph campus in 1922.
John D. MacLachlan integrated the Ontario Agricultural College, Ontario Veterinary College and Macdonald Institute into three Federated Colleges with a dean for each college and a Board of Regents in 1962. He served as president of the Federated Colleges until 1964 when the Ontario government created the University of Guelph. Wellington College, with faculties of arts, social science and physical and biological sciences, was added as the fourth college.
At the first convocation in May 1965, Dr. MacLachlan was installed as the first president of the University of Guelph with George Drew, a native of Guelph and former Premier of Ontario, becoming the first chancellor. Guelph businessman Thomas McEwan was the first chairman of the Board of Governors.
Generously donated by the University of Guelph Alumni Association
Rerum Cognoscere Causas
Erected by University of Guelph Alumni Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 43° 31.998′ N, 80° 13.749′ W. Marker is in Guelph, Ontario, in Wellington County. It can be reached from Winegard Walk. The marker is on the University of Guelph campus, accessible by foot on Winegard Walk, approx. 100 metres from College Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guelph ON N1G 1Y4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Huron-Perth-Waterloo-Wellington Area and in Southwestern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and
the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: George Alexander Drew 1894-1973 (within shouting distance of this marker); George Creelman 1869-1929 (within shouting distance of this marker); Royal Canadian Air Force No. 4 Wireless School (within shouting distance of this marker); Ontario Agricultural College (within shouting distance of this marker); Entrance Old Main Building (within shouting distance of this marker); James Mills 1840-1924 (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Presidents House (about 120 meters away); The Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guelph.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2025. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 6, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.



