Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Buffalo Were Recorded Here In 1718
This entire area was an important Indian trade center from early times to c. 1830.
Trading posts were established here in the middle 1700's including George Ironside's and Peter Lumbar's here at the fort site.
The British maintained practical control over this trade center until following the War of 1812.
Ohio became a state in 1803.
The first permanent settlers arrive during 1817.
The last of the local Indians were removed during the 1830's.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1718.
Location. 41° 17.255′ N, 84° 21.412′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Fort Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. This historical marker is located in the park that marks the site of General Wayne's Fort Defiance. The marker is inscribed on a red stone slab that is situated on the high ground Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Cannons (a few steps from this marker); Spemica Lawba–Johnny Logan (a few steps from this marker); Cross Section of the Trench (a few steps from this marker); North Blockhouse (a few steps from this marker); Fort Defiance, 1794 (a few steps from this marker); West Blockhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Construction Of Fort Defiance (within shouting distance of this marker); Legion of Anthony Wayne (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,389 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.