Near Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Samuel House Plantation
Cox’s division of Schofield's 23rd A.C. reached this vicinity July 18; Schofield, in person, with the div. was here joined by Sherman who established headquarters at the house.
Cox’s div. camped on the plantation; Hascall’s div., having traversed Cox’s line of march via Old Cross Keys, turned S.W. on Peachtree Rd. to Goodwin’s, then S.E. to Johnston’s Mill on N. Fork Peachtree Creek where it camped.
Erected 1984 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 044-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1864.
Location. 33° 52.533′ N, 84° 19.65′ W. Marker is near Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Peachtree Road (Georgia Route 141) 0 miles north of Ashford Dunwoody Road, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oglethorpe University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Cross Keys (approx. 1.1 miles away); Brookhaven Historic District (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919 (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Solomon Goodwin’s Res. (approx. 1½ miles away); Ivy Street (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp on Nancy's Creek (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text at this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission.
Regarding The Samuel House Plantation. The house is now the clubhouse of the private Peachtree Golf Club, and is difficult to see from the road.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,530 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.