Near Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wassamassaw, with several variant spellings during the colonial era, is a Native American word thought to mean “connecting water.” It first referred to the large cypress swamp here, but eventually referred to the community that grew up nearby in the Anglican parish of St. James, Goose Creek. Plantations laid out by the English and later by the Huguenots flourished before the Revolution.
The swamp was almost impassible for most of the colonial period, but the Wassamassaw Road ran just below the swamp between here and Goose Creek. A Chapel of Ease was built nearby shortly after the Yamasee War of 1715, and a free school was founded in 1728. The “Wassamassaw Cavalry,” a militia company founded in 1857, later saw Confederate service as Company D, 2nd S.C. Cavalry.
Erected 2009 by Berkeley County. (Marker Number 8-62.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 9.288′ N, 80° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cypress Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 7 miles away); Varner Town Indian Community (approx. 7˝ miles away); St. John's Church (approx. 8.3 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 8.3 miles away); a different marker also named Berkeley County (approx. 8˝ miles away); Mulberry Plantation (approx. 8.8 miles away); Lewisfield Plantation (approx. 9 miles away); Alston Graded School / Alston High School (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,967 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 26, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.